School Hours & Bell Schedule
Regular Bell Schedule
Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 3:25 p.m.
- First Bell 8:30 a.m.
- Second Bell 8:40 a.m. Students arriving after 8:40 a.m. are marked late.
- Dismissal Bell 3:25 p.m.
Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Emergency School Closing, Delayed Opening or Early Dismissal
In the event of an emergency, such as extreme heat, cold or snow, the Division Superintendent may decide to:
- Close schools for the day
- Open schools two hours late, or
- Close schools two hours early.
All emergency closings and delayed openings shall be announced in the following ways:
- Listed on the Fairfax County Public Schools website: www.fcps.edu.
- Sent by electronic mail (e-mail).
- Carried on the division’s public access channel, Cox Cable Channel 21.
- Closings and delayed openings are provided to local radio and television stations no later than 5:30 a.m.
- Early closings are provided to local stations no later than 10:30 a.m.
- All schools shall be closed for the day.
- Extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, adult and community education classes, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds are canceled.
- All offices are open unless the closing of offices is specified.
Two-Hour Delayed Opening - 10:30 a.m. - 3:25 p.m.
- Students in grades K-6 shall report two hours later than their regular schedule.
- Morning field trips are canceled.
With any delayed opening, the buses will arrive to pick up the students two hours later than the regularly scheduled time.
Two-Hour Early Dismissal - 8:30 a.m. - 1:25 p.m.
- All students shall be dismissed two hours early.
- Field trips are canceled.
Snow Day Modified Instructional Schedule 2022 - Virtual Learning 10:30 am - 3:15 pm
The instructional block times are located in the PDF